Monday 31 October 2011

The Yoga mat, my playground and my battlefield



The only word that can currently describe my present state of being is BLISSED OUT ! No I am not high on LSD or any other source of recreational drug! I recently returned from a near month long journey to Ubud , Bali. Known as the island of spiritual and cultural abundance I wasn't  surprised to be constantly learning , changing and growing. 

I spent the majority of my time on a yoga mat! Hugged by the rice plantations , the Yoga barn was my new refuge for the those 3 and half weeks! Blessed with wise and creative teachers my practice evolved . I often heard the teachers saying the " Yoga mat is your playground" or "the yoga mat is your battlefield " !  At first I probably took both terms to literally :P but realised the beautiful metaphor behind those simple words. 

The mat was my place of exploration , fun , growth , stretching , challenges , struggle , acceptance , surrender and rest . In every class was a lesson. My biggest lesson ...was dealing with struggle! 

There is a term used on the mat .. the edge ..When you re on the edge - not literally at the edge of mat but at the edge of crumbling pain, while you re holding that downward dog pose , or balancing one leg as you extend the other..when the pain deepens .. what do you do ?  Do stare at others around you ? Do you create a story ? Do you space out or do you simply abandon yourself ? 

I realised on the mat like in life .. there will always be struggle , but with every changing pose , the struggle will pass. And the last thing I want do which is the first thing I normally is abandon myself ! 

As I stood in Warrior Two pose , I discovered my battlefield , I played out my struggle and came out of it peacefully. As I slowly practiced this idea of a playground and battlefield..I found my Asanas ( posers) stronger but gentle , I felt the flow within me present than ever .. and was finally being the flow not going with it! I only got a taster of what I should be doing on a regular basis! So the practice will continue... they say Its not about doing yoga but being in Yoga! 

The next time you face a challenge or in a place of struggle ask yourself what do you do and tell yourself it will pass. 

For those of you who I already do a little bit of yoga with you , I cant wait to share with you all the wisdom that has  been so authentically shared with me! and for everyone else I can only wish that you find your mat and explore ! 


Namaste & Big love 

1 comment:

  1. There are several reasons for their being the perfect rubber mats to lay on the compound for use by the youngsters. These relate to toughness, safety, durability, size and the right colors for different occasions.

    Playground Mats

    ReplyDelete